Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Interview (Kevin Jack)

1. What is your favorite hobby? Photography

2. How did you get involved with this hobby?

I was doing a class paper at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts when I saw interesting photographs of local happenings. It kind of sparked my interest in photography.

3. Why did you start this hobby?

I was focusing a lot on school and my current job and I needed to find something else to do besides going to school, or work.

4. Who introduced you, and instructed you in this hobby?

I introduced myself in this hobby, although I never had any real instruction on how to do it. I decided to take a Beginning Digital Photography class at Inver Hills Community College in Inver Grove Heights, to help me further my digital photography.

5. Who was the biggest influence to you concerning this hobby?

There really wasn't anyone influencing me on my hobby. I got bored one afternoon and wanted something to do. I took my parents digital camera and started shooting pictures. It was something that grew on me as the years went by.

6. What is the biggest challenge for you, and the easiest?

I haven't had much challenging issues with photography, besides my memory card filling up or the battery dying. No one (so far, knock on wood), has gotten mad at me for taking a photo with him/her involved. Wednesdays at Inver Hills are my long days. I have class first thing in the morning. For a majority of the day, I spend time working on other class assignments. Wednesday evenings I spend about three hours in the computer lab working on my photographs on Photoshop. Basically, I'm on campus from 8:00 in the morning until about 8:30 at night working. Makes it challenging to spend some time with friends and family and do the things I enjoy doing but it is something that I'm interested in. After all, all of us has to sacrifice something in life. The easiest thing about photography is the possibilities for photos are endless. There's always something that is picture worthy.

7. What is your favorite thing about your hobby?

The memories that come with every picture I take. Whether it is a picture with friends and/or family, an event or scenery, every picture I taken has a story of some sort behind it.

8. When did you start this hobby, and do you still continue with it today?

I've been doing it on and off since 2007. I've been doing more photography since I decided to take the photography class, which started in August, 2009.

9. Where do you practice this hobby?

I go everywhere you can imagine in the Twin Cites area. I've taken pictures of my vacation in Northern Minnesota, at the tie-breaker game between the Twins and Tigers (on Tues. 8/6), and the 2008 Republican National Convention. I live about 10 minutes from downtown so it wasn't a chore to get pictures. It is one event (the RNC) that I won't forget anytime soon. As long as it is served by a bus route, I want to explore what the Twin Cities has to offer.

10. How has it impacted your life?

Besides giving me something to do when I'm bored out of my mind, it is giving me a chance to get to know my hometown and surrounding area. Plus it's leading a career, hopefully into photojournalism, although computer graphics doesn't sound so bad.

11. Would you change anything about your hobby? If so what?

I wouldn't really change anything about my hobby. Maybe an actual camera (with a lens) instead of a point and shoot camera that everyone has for everyday usage.

12. What would your life be like with out your hobby?

Probably really boring. It would no doubt help me forget the most memorable moments of my/others life.

13. Is there anyone you would like to thank for helping you with something concerning your hobby?

I started this hobby on my own. Really, the only person I can thank is my photography instructor at Inver Hills who introduced new ideas on what I can take pictures of and then edit them on Photoshop.

14. What is the best moment you have ever had from participating in this hobby?

I mentioned this in the beginning of the e-mail but all the memories associated with every picture. Obviously I'm not going to take and keep pictures that bring in bad memories.

15. Is there anything else you would like to tell us about your hobby that might surprise/interest us?

I don't know if it will serve as an interesting fact or surprising but I take Metro Transit to my destinations. I see more scenery on the bus than I would if I was driving a private vehicle. But this may. I hate being in pictures. I'm, believe it or not, quite camera shy but I have an outgoing personality. I much rather be behind the camera instead of being in front of the camera.

2 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I obviously have a digital camera, but I am not that in to it. I would focus a story on the enjoyment Kevin gets from his hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete